One of my favorite feel-goods.
I was determined not to let this one go. Here’s my slightly altered version. Feel free to pass on any other ones you like too! I’m still looking for a less-flaky crust.
- 1 lb cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup butter
- ” chopped onion
- ” gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 chicken or veggie broth
- 2/3 cup lactose-free/alternate milk
- Preheat oven 425 F
- Saucepan: chicken, carrots, peas, celery. Add water to cover, boil 15 min.
Remove from heat, drain, set aside.
- 2nd saucepan: cook onions in butter until translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper. Slowly add broth and milk. Simmer med-low til thick.
- Place chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. (I like to split this recipe into 3-4 oven-safe mugs) Pour hot liquid over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, make several small air slits.
- Bake 30-35 min or til brown and bubbly. Cool 10 min.
1 hr 10 min
- 1/2 cup butter/shortening
- 1 1/2 cup rice/gluten-free flour
- 4 tbsp water
- Cut butter into flour until crumbly. Add water.
- Work dough with hands until soft. Form into ball.
- Place in 8 inch pie pan, use fork to prick bottom to prevent buckling
- Bake 12-15 min or until edges golden-brown.
Based off recipe by Robbie Rice: