If you still need to do some last minute Christmas gifting, this one is fun, simple, and affordable. This is perfect if you’re on a student budget. It also made for a really fun night with my friend, Lauresa!
There are many recipes online… we decided on a veggie bean soup recipe, but there are cookie and dessert ones too.
For your loved ones without weird diets 😉
VEGETARIAN FIVE BEAN SOUP MIX
Much thanks to Cassie Johnston at : http://backtoherroots.com/2012/12/03/handmade-holiday-vegetarian-five-bean-soup-mix/
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: None
Makes: 4 Jars
• 1 pound pinto beans
• 1 pound split green peas (or green lentils)
• 1 pound great northern beans
• 1 pound black beans
• 1 pound kidney beans
• 1 tablespoon black pepper
• 1 tablespoon paprika
• 1 tablespoon dry mustard
• 2 tablespoons dehydrated onions (found in the spice aisle)
• 2 tablespoons sea salt
• 2 tablespoons garlic powder
• 2 tablespoons dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
• 8 bay leaves
• 4 vegetable bouillon cubes
• 4 clear quart Mason jars plus lids and rings
• Parchment paper
• Tape or stickers
• Fabric and ribbon to cover top
1. In each of the four Mason jars, layer 2/3 cup of pinto beans—shaking the jar gently to level the beans. Then repeat with 2/3 cup of green peas and so on ending with the kidney beans. Set jars aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine all remaining spices except bay leaves and bouillon cubes.
3. On a 10″ x 10″ piece of parchment paper, spoon 3 tablespoons of the spice mixture in the middle. Place two bay leaves and one bouillon cube on top. Fold parchment around spices to make a small spice packet. Seal with tape or stickers. Repeat three more times to create four total packets. Squish the packets into the top space of each of the four bean jars. You can also package the spices into plastic zip-top baggies if you prefer.
4. Place lids on jars, cover in fabric and ribbon and label as desired.
Remove the spice packet from the jar and set aside. Rinse beans and place in a large stock pot. Cover by 1” of water. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil for one minute. Remove from heat, cover, and let soak for one hour. Drain and rinse beans. Return beans to the pot, add in spice packet, 1-15 OZ CAN OF DICED TOMATOES AND 5 CUPS OF WATER. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/1-2 hours until beans are very tender and soup is thick. Serve with a bug hunk of crusty bread. Enjoy!