I am about as stoked about this pie as Charlie Brown felt waiting for the Great Pumpkin to arrive on Halloween.
If you’re like me, you know that good desserts are hard to come by.
It’s a satisfying discovery! I’ve merged two recipes to create a tasty pumpkin pie. People with and without diet restrictions have really enjoyed it. It’s creamy sweet and delicate. The coconut gives it a melt-in-your-mouth texture without overpowering the pumpkin flavor or the festive spice.
Can’t believe it’s Gaps, Grain Free, Sugar-Free (no cane sugar), Dairy-Free, Paleo, Primal
~ Pumpkin Pie Filling ~
Thanks to Deliciously Organic @ http://deliciouslyorganic.net/pumpkin-pie-grain-free-paleo-primal-gaps/! I’ve modified this slightly.
Serving Size: Makes two 9-inch pies or 1 full 9 inch pie. I prefer one large 9 inch pie.
* It’s important to use a pie shield or foil over the crust to ensure the crust doesn’t burn. The filling can also be made two days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or honey)
- 1 tsp of Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Spice (OR 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ginger.) I love TJ’s pre-mixed spice because it also has cardamom, cloves, and lemon peel.
- 3/4 cup pureed pumpkin (if using fresh pumpkin then strain the pumpkin for about 5 minutes in a fine mesh sieve to remove excess moisture)
- 1 tablespoon of potato flour (or arrowroot for a rigid Paleo diet…it is helpful to include an alternative thickener)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups canned coconut cream (Approximately 1 can). I would highly recommend Savoy Coconut Cream, which is 100% coconut without any additives. It has the best flavor I’ve tried..fresh, slightly sweet, and creamy….better than many other brands that are “organic’ or have additives.
Preheat oven to 450°F and adjust rack to middle position. Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour filling evenly into unbaked pie shell(s). Place pie dishes on a large baking sheet. Cover crust with a pie shield or foil to ensure the crust doesn’t burn. Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 350°F and bake for an additional 20 minutes until edges of pie are set. Cool to room temperature before serving. Serve alone or with whipped coconut cream.
~ Paleo Pie Crust ~
Thank you, Elena! @ http://elanaspantry.com/paleo-pie-crust/
Serves: 1 pie crust
2 cups blanched almond flour
¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 large egg
Place flour and salt in food processor and pulse briefly
Add coconut oil and egg and pulse until mixture forms a ball
Press dough into a 9-inch pie dish
Bake at 350° for 8-12 minutes